December 26, 2009

New Beginning!

It has been a long time since I wrote anything longer than 200 characters last, anything except some lousy reports in office and lately at school. It is a nice time of the year though for beginnings and resolutions, with the new year approaching. I've never been a big fan of resolutions. I suck at any kind of resolutions at all - I've had my share of them. The most frequently ventured resolutions of all times of course have been those to do with next Mondays and gym and a combination of the two.

I was about to say "Anyway, thats not what I am talking about". I am used to saying that because I am more often off the topic than on it. But it would be wrong to say that, and you all understand.

Something happened today. I feel happy about something. I heard this hour long monologue from myself about what am I here to do, why and what I have gotten myself into. I realize that I have been using so much of my energy to keep my inherently lazy self enthusiastic about *things* in life that I am going to run out of it some day or the other. While that may be true, something else hit me right near the end of the whole hour which made me come and write this.

I am so scared about the snow going away. There was so much snow out there for the last week - it's all almost gone. Although I know I am never going to get myself out there to play with it. But just the thought of the snow being outside - ready for me to play with whenever I want - was good enough. The rains came and the sun came and the snow is going away now. And I am only left with the hope that it snows again next year.

When I was coming to Delft, I had promised myself that this was going to be a vacation. It turned out to be everything else. However, I am going to try to do a few of those things I promised myself. And so, for the first time in a long time, probably ever, I am going to put down a list of things I want me to do the next year:

1. Run : Morning/Evening don't really care - get out there. Run atleast two half marathons.

2. Write : I know u like to, but are too scared that no one will read it. Well, dont u worry I will read and like bits and pieces of it too. I still read the old one sometimes.

3. Cycle: Get your cycle in shape and cycle to some decent destination (I know it may be asking for too much, but try)
 
5. Read : Yes! Its been months. Start with a good book as soon as you can.

6. Watch movies : Funny and Good movies. (I've got to give myself something, right)

8. Reply to any email adressed to you within 30 minutes.

9. Breathe a bit: No, breathing in what u just let out an hour ago - is not breathing. (yes, it is similar to eating)
10. Come and tell me how you did!

It may seem that I am being too easy on myself, but trust me I am not. It is not the things that I don't like that I am afraid of doing. It is never doing things I like that scares me, and with good reason.

Merry Christmas and have a Great Year ahead! I sure am going to, if end up doing my list!

8 comments:

Priyanka said...

nice to see this!! never expected such a write up from you..

Priyanka said...

so u strting all this tomorrow? or jan 1st?

Gaurav said...

started already! 2.5km today! It was so freakin cold and I went out wearing a coton tshirt. Had to warm myself up for abt 2 hrs. Next time need more clothes on :p

Tanushree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanushree said...

Like this post a lot cause I can associate with it very closely (except the snow part :))

Thought this line was brilliant (again, coz it resonates with my thoughts):

"It is not the things that I don't like that I am afraid of doing. It is never doing things I like that scares me, and with good reason."

Thanks!

Gaurav said...

@TJ - Thanks!

The snow is all gone now. Only some ice on the roads to slip on while u try to start following ur list of resolutions.

I guess it is still bright and sunny down there!

Balu said...

Good one GSIN :)

I like this..
"Although I know I am never going to get myself out there to play with it. But just the thought of the snow being outside - ready for me to play with whenever I want - was good enough."

I am going to read the remaining posts now.

Gaurav said...

Thanks Balu.
Nothing could be truer and its not just the snow